MY YOGA CLASSES
So, why yoga? Simply, if you want to improve the way you feel and the way you move then yoga is for you. A yoga practice will help you with everything off your mat even if the things you do off your mat don’t always help your yoga. Many people will start a yoga practice for the many and varied physical benefits but after practicing for a while you will begin to see that there are so much more to be gained from regular time on your mat.
Mind, body, soul. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain.
I teach and practice a variety of styles of yoga suitable for all levels.
I offer both private and public classes in the London home counties.
Originally from New Zealand, I relocated with my children to Surrey in 1998. After leaving a senior corporate HR role with an US Software development company, following many years working around the world, I realised it was time for me to choose a better balance between the quality of my personal life and the demands of work - I chose quality of life.
Beginning my yoga journey with Bikram Hot Yoga and completing a 500 hour residential immersion training in Santa Barbara, California, I returned to the UK in 2014 to teach full time across different studios, plus teaching private small group sessions and 1:1 classes.
I am continuing to develop my practice and teaching through numerous teacher trainings. My teaching style is inclusive and fun across the range of modalities including Vinyasa Flow, Power & Core, Yin, Bikram and Hatha yoga. My focus for my students is on being able to 'experience' something during class, as well as simply to 'achieve' something, and knowing that for some, sometimes just showing up on your mat is the biggest challenge of all.
MY YOGA EDUCATION
✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓
(Evolation Yoga, The HotTT, USA, 9 weeks full immersion training)
✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓
✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓
✓ ✓ ✓ ✓
✓ ✓ ✓ ✓
✓ ✓ ✓
- "I have been practicing in Sam's classes since 2014 and she has guided me through many classes across the modalities during this time (Bikram, yin, core). Sam is a very warm and friendly person and this comes through in her teaching style which is both encouraging and also very relaxed at the same time. She has a wealth of knowledge in the subject and has helped guide and mentor me in my own yoga journey. I cannot recommend her classes highly enough."
- "From the instant I met Sam, I was struck with what a friendly and attentive personality she had and I knew she would make a great asset to our team here at Mary Ann Weeks Aveda. I wasn't disappointed. Sam has a real way with clients, balancing her knowledge and passion for yoga with a nurturing feel, that allows her students to feel inspired to reach their potential in a non-judgmental environment. I have frequently received feedback on how much our clients are enjoying her classes and strongly recommend that you try a class with her soon."
- Melanie Hiblen, Studio Manager at Mary Ann Weeks Aveda"I first met Sam when we used to go to the same gym. I come from a boxing and martial arts background and although I had a lot of strength I really struggled with my flexibility. I wanted to work with someone who could give me advice on how best to build flexibility and improve mobility and speed. Sam has helped me to get better at both and in a way that has been fun and not too ‘yoga-y’ which is what I was worried about. Also, she makes me work my core like I’ve never worked my core. I hate her sometimes!"
- Dan"After having children I wanted to get back to yoga as quickly as possible, but was nervous of going back to a studio as I had lost my self confidence in both my yoga practice and my body. Sam has been able to work with me to re-establish both, and not just by doing lovely yoga classes but also just being there to listen to me and help me with other things like finding my identity again after having kids and that has been a huge boost. She’s so easy to get along with - we love her."
- Emma"I have been having one to one yoga lessons in my own home with Sam for almost a year now. I look forward so much to our weekly class together. I’m a working mum so being able to carve out this time for myself in my own home is very important to me, not just for the physical benefits I have seen but Sam has helped me to find some calm in my hectic life and learn techniques to help me in my day to day life to cope with stress and anxiety. I am very grateful I found her."
- Fi"I have been taught yoga by Sam since 2014. I have learnt much from her detailed and knowledgeable manner in a hot & dynamic class. Her therapeutic & authentic ways in a yin class enable me to practice in a deep a restorative manner. Sam's overall ability to see exactly how you need to be approached as a student in all styles of class, whether to be encouraged to your edge or to support you to back off, is a real skill that cannot be learnt."